Many of us run several loads of laundry through the dryer each week without giving much thought to the process. For example, you toss a load of damp clothes in the dryer, select the appropriate cycle length, and press Start. You might not realize that, behind the dryer door, an accumulation of lint and debris is trapped within your dryer vent. Each time you press Start, you are risking that very flammable lint catching fire.
But how do you know if you are at risk? How can you be sure that your dryer vent is not going to spark a dangerous dryer fire? There are several telltale signs that it is time to clean your dryer vent.
- Your clothes run through a normal drying cycle, but they are still damp. If your clothes are not drying like they should, your dryer vent is likely clogged. When lint in the vent blocks moist air from escaping the dryer, your clothes will stay wet. You might have to run through a normal cycle several times to sufficiently dry your clothes. This is not normal and should be taken as a sign that your dryer vent needs to be cleaned immediately. Plus, your energy bills are likely increasing from the prolonged use of your dryer.
- Your dryer is hot to the touch. While some warmth is expected, your dryer should not be very hot to the touch. This is a sign that the dryer is not exhausting air properly.
- You see lint coming out of the vent opening, the point where the air exits outside. If this much lint is trapped inside your dryer vent, it most certainly needs to be cleaned.
- You notice a burning smell. If you smell something burning while your dryer is running, turn off your dryer immediately and schedule an inspection as soon as possible. That burning smell is most likely lint that has caught fire and is smoldering. This, of course, is extremely dangerous.
- Your dryer vent has not been cleaned in more than a year. Even if you do not notice any of the above signs, if your dryer vent has not been thoroughly cleaned in more than a year, you are still at risk of a dryer vent fire. Be proactive and schedule your cleaning before these signs start to appear.
Call Perfect Power Wash today to schedule your dryer vent cleaning before your home becomes at risk of a dryer vent fire. We offer convenient appointment times to meet your schedule. Call now!