While we enjoy the beauty of the fall season, we all know that winter is just around the corner. With the start of winter comes frigid temperatures and significant snow and ice accumulation. Just thinking of this can make any homeowner nervous about whether their roof is ready for winter! There is a list of steps you can take to ensure your roof is in strong shape and identify any potential issues before winter arrives.
- Check your roof for very worn or completely missing shingles. Bare spots can compromise the structural integrity of your roof, so it will be essential to replace any damaged or missing shingles as soon as possible.
- Prune trees around your home. If tree branches are overhanging your roof, it is a good idea to trim them back so they are less likely to cause damage if they fall during a winter storm.
- Take a close look at your ceilings. Sometimes the most effective way of identifying a potential problem with your roof is to assess your ceilings. Check every room in your home, looking for stains or dark or discolored spots. These spots are likely evidence of a leak, meaning there is a compromised spot on your roof that is allowing water to pass through.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters can quickly lead to roof leaks, especially if left untreated for a long period of time. Regularly cleaning your gutters is an important part of home maintenance.
- Ensure proper insulation in your attic. The primary cause of ice dams—a serious problem that can compromise the structural integrity of your roof—is a lack of adequate insulation in your attic. If warm air travels to your attic, it creates warm spots on your roof. Falling snow will melt into your gutters, where it will refreeze. This creates an ice dam, which allows melting snow to accumulate with nowhere to go except inside your home.
Perfect Power Wash is here to help you prepare for the winter season. Our professional services include roof cleaning, gutter debris removal and cleaning, and ice dam removal. Call on us for experienced assistance.